By: Garland Davis

It was an unwritten code of the sailor: never stand when you can sit; never sit when you can lie down, and never stay awake when you can sleep.  This was never truer than when providing gunfire support to Army and Marine troops engaged with Viet Cong insurgents or North Viet Army regulars.

Between watch standing, General Quarters, refueling, re-arming, stores unreps, and added bullshit from topside, there was little time to get a few hours of uninterrupted sleep.  Add water hours and the seeming monotony of the meals, powdered fucking milk, the same shitty movies, and the ship store out of every cigarette brand except out dated, unfiltered Luckies it was amazing that morale did not go completely to shit.

The clammy incessant heat drove everyone to seek whatever cooling comfort that was available.  A-gang machinist mates frequently needed to get into the reefers to check the internal temperatures.  Everyone was begging the cooks for a little ice.  Giving in to them would have meant no ice for the bug juice at the meals. The bug juice sucked, but it made the fuel oil flavored water drinkable. The fucking galley serving ice cream and all the fucking bowls were hot from the scullery and melted it before you could reach the table.

Meet your closest shipmate in a passageway and greet him, he either returns the greeting, tells you to fuck off, or completely ignores you.  Tempers were on edge.  Added to the mix were the racial tensions and anti-war sentiments of the country seeping into the fleet.  Real and imagined remarks, slurs, and treatment were causing problems.  Capable CPO’s, able LPO’s and knowledgeable Officers were often busy diffusing situations. Situations very often, caused by my some of fellow CPO’s and some dumbshit Junior Officers.

Even with morale in the shitter, with black and white sailors distrusting each other, hippies and dope smokers trying to drop out, there was still a sense of camaraderie in the crew.

The ship suffered a casualty in Mount 51 and the something to do with breechblock needed replacement (I don’t remember the exact details).  This was categorized as a two to three-day yard job.  While the officers were busy sending messages to whomever and re-planning firing missions, the GM1 with assistance from the BM1 and the A-Gang MMC set about changing the breechblock assembly.  The Gunnery Officer, upon discovering this told them to stop, that they couldn’t do it. It was a yard job.  GM1 went to the Weapon’s boss and told him that he thought it could be done at sea if the rigging was right and that the BMC and BM1 were available to handle that.  The MMC would provide tools and the HT’s would weld fittings needed for the riggers.  He and the Weps Boss went to the CO.  The Old Man listened and told them to give it their best shot.

During the next forty-eight hours, the whole crew came together to offer help and support any way possible.  All the animosity and slights seemed to drop away.  We were all shipmates. To shorten a long story, we went back on the gunline two days later with mount 51 in battery.

Finally arriving in Subic, a few days liberty and many of the slights and disagreements forgotten, we were ready to go out and do it again.  We were young and did things we were not supposed to be able to do.  We did them because we did not know we couldn’t.




One thought on “Gunline

  1. John Croix MMCS(SW) 1961-1988 says:

    When you’re too dumb to know that you can’t do that, so you do it anyway. Sounds like a problem we had with the main circulating water pump. The main circ pump supplies cooling water to the condenser when the ship slows below 5 knots.
    We had a main circ pump wipe out a bearing. No one told us this was a yard job, so we thought we could do it if the CO could keep above 5 knots while we worked round the clock to get it fixed. It took about a week for the supply dept to get the bearing we needed but then we proceeded to fix the pump. We got back to Norfolk about a month later and DESRON 2 called us on the carpet for fixing the pump. The only problem with our repair was we couldn’t adjust the governor like it was supposed to be set. Their answer was to send the Norfolk Naval Shipyard over to correct our Fu*k-up (in their words) after 2 weeks of work NNSY gave up and called the manufacturer. The manufacturer’s techrep worked for 2 weeks and finally gave up and installed a new governor assembly which they couldn’t adjust correctly. One evening after they gave up for the day, I had my crew work on it and adjusted it very carefully as per the tech manual. We fixed it. But everyone still said we did not have the training or skills to do the job.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s