USS Oklahoma City

USS Oklahoma City

By:  Garland Davis


She was known as the “Okie Boat” by those who served in her and those of us who knew her. I was never assigned into Oklahoma City, but I have many friends and shipmates who were.

Oklahoma City was a Cleveland class Light Cruiser, designated as CL-91. Her keel was laid down in 1942. She was commissioned into active service in December 1944. In May 1945 she arrived in Pearl Harbor for a short stay before moving on to the Western Pacific where she would provide support to Carrier Task Group 38.1 during the Battle of Okinawa. She also provided gunfire support for the Marines ashore and patrolled Japanese waters during the latter days of the war. In September, she entered Tokyo Bay after a continuous seventy-six days at sea. Oklahoma City remained in Japan as part of the early occupation forces. In January 1945 she departed Japan for the United States and arrived in San Francisco in February and remained there until August when she moved to Mare Island for inactivation.

In March 1957, Oklahoma City was moved to the West Coast yards of Bethlehem Steel for conversion to a Galveston-class Guided Missile Light Cruiser (CLG). In September 1960, she was commissioned as CLG-5. She operated in the Pacific including two lengthy tours as Flag Ship for U.S. Seventh Fleet.  She was deployed to Yokosuka, Japan during the periods as flagship. Sometime after the Heavy Cruisers were all gone, she was re-designated CG-5.

She saw protracted service during the Viet Nam war. On 19 April 1972 the Oklahoma City was attacked by one of two North Vietnamese Air Force MiG-17s, flown by pilots Le Xuan Di and Nguyen Van Bay, both from the North Vietnamese Air Force’s 923rd Fighter Regiment. Each Mig was armed with two 500 lb bombs. Van Bay’s target was Oklahoma City. Van Bay made two passes on the cruiser, having overshot his target on the first run, dropped his two bombs near the ship causing light damage. One of the attacking Migs was reportedly shot down by an accompanying missile ship, USS Sterett (DLG-31). Another accompanying ship, USS Higbee (DD-806) was heavily damaged by a direct hit from the second Mig flown by pilot Le Xuan Di, which destroyed her aft 5-inch gun mount.

The Okie Boat returned to the United States for a final time in 1979. She was decommissioned in December of that year and placed in the reserve fleet at Suisun Bay. In January 1999, she was towed to Pearl Harbor, where some usable material from her was donated for use in outfitting the battleship Missouri (BB-63) as a museum ship.

The “Okie Boat” was then towed to sea and expended as a target during Tandem Thrust ’99 Naval exercise, southwest of Guam during February/March of that year. After first being used as a target for air-launched missiles Oklahoma City was sunk by torpedoes from the South Korean submarine Lee Chun. Oklahoma City broke into two parts as she sank beneath the waves.

Two friends and I went down to Hospital Point on the Naval Station Pearl Harbor to say goodbye to her as the tugs took her to sea for the final time. There were two others there for the same reason. They were friends of ours and had both served in the “Okie Boat” with each other and in other ships with me. It was a rainy morning and as we sheltered under a tree waiting for the tugs to bring her past, a taxi stopped near us. The driver got out and took a walker from the trunk and then assisted his passenger from the car. The passenger was an elderly man wearing a dress blue Navy Uniform with the insignia of a Gunners Mate First Class. He also had an Assault Boat Coxswain badge on the opposite sleeve. His service ribbons indicated that he had seen service in WWII and the Korean Conflict. He was wearing a Purple Heart, indicating that he had been wounded. He walked, with difficulty, across the road, in the misting rain,  to the channel’s edge and stood there holding on to his walker.

Shortly afterward, the tug came into sight and then the ship that we were there to bid farewell to. We walked over near the old gentleman as she came abreast of us. He struggled to stand upright at the position of attention, straightened his white hat, and rendered the hand-salute. I walked over to help him if he needed it. As the stern of the ship passed he groped for his walker and turned towards me, tears streaming down his face. He said to me, “I commissioned her in ’44 and decommissioned her in ’47.” She was a good ship and a great time in my life.”

I motioned my friends over and introduced them. I had a bottle of whiskey and plastic cups in the trunk of the car that I had brought for a farewell drink. I poured a drink for each of us and one into the channel and we toasted the “Okie Boat.” As she moved out of the channel.

I drove the old gentleman to the International Airport Holiday Inn. He told me that he had served in a Destroyer and an APA troop transport before Oklahoma City. He had come to Hawaii to say farewell to the ship and would leave for his home in Los Angeles, that evening. He also told me that his daughter had tried to talk him out of the trip and had been reluctant to accompany him to Hawaii.

We arrived at the hotel where his daughter was waiting in the lobby. She told me that she was uneasy about letting him go alone that morning, but he had insisted. She also told me that she had tried to change his mind but he had insisted on this trip to Hawaii. She said, “I have heard talk about the Oklahoma City my whole life.  I just don’t see what it is about that old ship. I just don’t understand it and him.”

I thought to myself as I walked away, “No, you don’t understand and never can understand.”

And they can’t understand.  Normal people don’t give any thought to a bunch of scrap iron.  To us, those old gray ships are a huge part of our life.  We reminisce about them, tell stories about them, dream about them, and we love them.  There is just no other way to put it.



To follow Tales of an Asia Sailor and get e-mail notifications of new posts, click on the three white lines in the red rectangle above, then click on the follow button.

A native of North Carolina, Garland Davis has lived in Hawaii since 1987. He always had a penchant for writing but did not seriously pursue it until recently. He is a graduate of Hawaii Pacific University, where he majored in Business Management. Garland is a thirty-year Navy retiree and service-connected Disabled Veteran.



17 thoughts on “USS Oklahoma City

  1. Bill Wright says:

    She was a grand old lady who’s performance throughout her long and distinguish career did honor to her namesake. There could have been no finer end than her being lain to rest on the ocean bottom. Farwell Oklahoma City CG5.


  2. Charlie Powers says:

    Thanks, Garland. She was quite the lady. I served aboard her from Feb 1976, until decom 15 December, 1979 (stood the final POOW on the quarterdeck!). OKC runs through my veins.
    OSCM(SW) (ret) Charlie Powers


    • Laurie Savage says:

      Hi Charlie. Do u remember Phillip savage? He worked in supply division and also a barber. I’m his cousin. His 2 brothers are trying to find him. We don’t know where he went from San Diego. Any info would help. Thankyou


    • If I recall correctly, you were OS 2 Powers when I was your Division Officer (as a new Ensign) during the ship’s last year of service. Master Chief, quite an accomplishment, well done!

      When we ate on board the Gompers while prepping OK City for decommissioning, one of the wardroom mess cooks later appeared in the Women in the Military issue of Playboy, the picture of which was taken on my third ship, USS Sacramento. Small world.


  3. George Laue says:

    I was on USS Vincennes during the exercise that sank her. I tell you fir 2 Days we pounded her with Modern Ordinance from aircraft and she took it all. Even when she was struck by the torpedoes she struggled to stay afloat. Had DC doors not been, cut, welded open or removed I believe that she would have stayed afloat if a crew had been on her. She was a tough old girl and I even wrote a little poem to her in my TDC log that day. Turns out I was the only one who recorded her exact position and ended up saving the day for Divo.


  4. J T Richardson says:

    I saw the Okie Boat pull into 32nd Street in 79 for decom. I was then on the Samuel Gompers AD-37. I had spent two years on the Midway out of Yokosuka, and was familiar with the cruiser. One has to spend time on a particular ship to understand your story. Good one.


  5. Laurie Savage says:

    I am searching for Phillip elwin savage. He was on the ship in 1978. He has family looking for him. I am a cousin as well. Any info please send to email. Thankyou all for serving.


  6. Jim Ansley says:

    I served on the Okie Boat April 71 to March 73 as Chief Snipe and stood watches as CDO underway participating in many strikes in both North & South Vietnam including the one at Brandon Bay. As I recall P.C. smith and I were at Hospital Point when the Okie Boat was headed west for the last Time P.C. and I had boarded her in Pearl and took a last tour through the ship in the dark. Very spooky!! I took and still have the designation plate off my old stateroom. Many wonderful memories from a great ship and fantastic crew.both aboard and ashore. Jim Ansley


  7. Steve says:

    For me the Oklahoma City was the begining of the best 10 years of my life. She was my first ship and the 7th fleet flag ship I have great memories of her and my shipmates.

    Liked by 1 person

  8. EWCM (AC) Wade Moore, USN RET says:

    Served aboard with Flag Allowance Jan75-Jun78….
    One of the most memorable ships…EVER…in my 30 year, 9 ship career.
    Funny story….tied up in YOKO….Army tugs across the pier….was standing mid as CCWO in CC…. took a walk out on the port flagbridge and observed a rather inebriated person stagger aboard one of the Army tugs with a large package…. fantail watch waved him aboard….drunk went below via a centerline hatch aft…..and….. Guess what ?
    A lifelike gorilla appeared coming out of the same hatch in short order…..
    Poor fantail watch didn’t know whether to ***t or go blind…….which was fortuitous for the gorilla, since the fantail watch was scrambling to load his long gun. …..I was laughing so hard it hurt !!!! And at the last moment, QMC ” Big Tom” came out to see what I was cackling about and managed to bellow across the pier to get everone’s attention and stop the music….

    Wade BT_AR


  9. Hugh Irwin, HM2 says:

    I served aboard this magnificent lady fro May 1974 to Dec 1976. I served as the medical lab tech, and I was the only graduate of my “C School” to draw sea duty, and what a draw it was. At my Youngman age, my eyes were wide open all the time, drinking-in the cultures from Korea to Australia, and everything between. Will I ever fully appreciate the opportunity that was mine? I hope so.

    Liked by 1 person

  10. Mike Seals says:

    My first of 8 ships during my 29 year party, Seaman Deuce to CWO3 Boatswain, while Boatswain of USS Willamette the Captain got the ship underway just so the crew could see Okie City at sea and make Bosn shed a few tears.

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s