USS Reeves (DLG 24 / CG 24):

USS Reeves (DLG 24 / CG 24):


The second REEVES (DLG-24) was laid down 1 July 1960 by the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, Bremerton, Wash.; launched 12 May 1962; sponsored by Mrs. Joseph M. Reeves, Jr., daughter-in-law of Vice Adm. J. M. Reeves; and commissioned 15 May 1964; Capt. Wynne A. Stevens, Jr., in command.

Following an extended trial and shakedown period, REEVES, a guided missile frigate homeported at Long Beach, underwent availability and further training and, on 10 April 1965, departed California for her first tour with the 7th Fleet in the western Pacific. Deployed for just over 6 months, she operated primarily in support of Allied operations in the Republic of Vietnam, serving as an AAW picket, first with TG 77.3 built around aircraft carrier ORISKANY (CVA-34), then with TG 77.6 centered on aircraft carrier MIDWAY (CVA-41). Returning to Long Beach 3 November, she conducted local operations for the remainder of the year and into 1966. On 26 May, she got underway for Japan and a 2-year nonrotated tour with the 7th Fleet. Arriving at her new homeport, Yokosuka, 16 June, she departed again in July and on the 7th anchored at Danang, R.V.N. to begin another tour off that embattled coast. For the next 2 years, she regularly sailed south from Japan for air-sea rescue tours off Vietnam, compiling a total of 493 days underway, 312 of which were spent in the Gulf of Tonkin.

Rotated back to the United States in August 1968, REEVES operated out of Long Beach for the remainder of the year, participating in local operations and testing and evaluating radar systems. With the new year, 1969, however, REEVES was ordered to Bath, Maine, for overhaul and modernization. Arriving 31 March, she was placed out of commission, special, 10 April, and the extensive modification work was begun.

REEVES was recommissioned 29 August 1970 at Bath, Captain W. S. Mayer, USN, in command. She spent the period 10 September-19 November making the passage from Bath to her new home port, Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. The uncommonly long duration of the passage was due to frequent stops along the way at various places for additional work to be done and by a three-week refresher training period in the vicinity of Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. After arriving at Pearl Harbor, REEVES engaged in numerous exercises and operations in the area around Hawaii.

June 1971 found her steaming westward for deployment in the Gulf of Tonkin. REEVES returned to Pearl Harbor 20 December 1971 and remained in the Hawaii-west coast area until September 1972, participating in various operations and exercises, notably a Midshipman cruise in July. She departed Hawaii, 18 September, headed for her second WESTPAC deployment since recommissioning, arriving in Subic Bay, Philippine Islands, 14 days later. After six months in the western Pacific, stationed off the coast of Vietnam, REEVES sailed into port at Pearl Harbor 17 March 1973. She remained in the Hawaiian Islands into 1974. She was reclassified a guided missile cruiser CG-24, on 30 June 1975.

From June 1985 to December 1986 Reeves deployed to the Western Pacific. In March 1986 she conducted a Team Spirit exercise and in September 1986 was involved in special operations off the coast of Vladivostok. From 5 to 11 November 1986 she made a historic port visit to Qingdao, China which was the first USN visit since 1949. May 1987 found her involved with yet another Team Spirit exercise. Reeves deployed to the Persian Gulf July to December 1987 during which she participated in the first of nine Earnest Will tanker reflagging operations beginning 23 July. In March 1988 she was involved again in the Team Spirit exercise.

REEVES earned three battle stars for Vietnam service.

USS Reeves was stricken from the Navy Register on November 12, 1993, at Pearl Harbor. The ship was then berthed at the Naval Inactive Ship Maintenance Facility (NISMF), Pearl Harbor, HI.

On May 31, 2001, the REEVES was finally sunk as a target at 026° 26’ 53.0 South / 155° 24’ 27.0 East in 2,541 Fathoms of water.


3 thoughts on “USS Reeves (DLG 24 / CG 24):

  1. Gary Nelson says:

    I enjoyed a good two years on Reeves from Dec. 1975 to Dec. 1979. I made a WestPac cruise in 1976-77 and participated/had inflicted upon me the equator initiation. I’m a lifelong Shell-back now! I was a YN in the Navigation division with QM,HM,PN, YN, and JO (journalists) all lumped in. While I was aboard, the captain was Jerry Dickman, replaced by Captain Ming Chang. There were a lot of good guys on that tub– still the era of full beards and male-only crews!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s